Several have asked for more information about Freemasonry. I mentioned Freemasonry in a recent sermon while telling a story about my older brother.
Freemasonry is a fraternal (male-only) organization that began in the early 18th century. There are approximately 6 million members worldwide, including an estimated 2 million in the United States. There is a Masonic Lodge in Harlan, but when I called to inquire about the number of members locally, the phone was disconnected.
Many Masons are practicing or professing Christians. I presume this to be the case in Harlan as well. This leads to the question: Is Freemasonry compatible with Christianity?
In short, absolutely not! No Christian should belong to the Masons. Those who do should immediately renounce their Masonic oath and ask for God’s forgiveness. (I would recommend doing this in the presence of leaders of his church.)
Here are 5 compelling reasons for a Christian man to renounce his Masonic oath:*
1. By swearing the Masonic oath, the Christian swears to doctrines that the Bible pronounces false and sinful. For example, Masonry teaches the false doctrine of “the Fatherhood of God,” whereas Jesus taught that only those who receive Him have the right to become children of God (see John 1:12).
2. By swearing the Masonic oath, the Christian swears to accept and promote the Masonic falsehood that Jesus is just one of many equally revered prophets in the world. Yet Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).
3. By swearing the Masonic oath, the Christian swears that he is coming to Masonry in spiritual ignorance and moral darkness. Yet the Bible says that Christians are children of light and are indwelt by the Light of the world (see Ephesians 5:8).
4. By swearing the Masonic oath, the Christian falsely swears that the God of the Bible is equally present in all religions. Yet the God of the Bible says, “I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God” (Isaiah 44:6).
5. By swearing the Masonic oath, Christians are promulgating a false gospel to other Masons who look only to the gospel of Masonry to get them to heaven. Yet the Bible says, “Even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!” (Galatians 1:8).
If any of the men in our church family are Masons, I urge them to do additional research, if necessary, but then to quickly break all ties with this organization.
If I can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to call.
*The 5 items are adapted from “The Facts on the Masonic Lodge” by John Ankerberg, John Weldon and Dillon Burroughs.